Frequently Asked Questions

If you have a question that is not covered below, please contact us via the contact button

You can submit your forms via email to: admin@kpbapprovals.com.au or drop into the office which is located at; 3C 26-28 Redland Bay Road Capalaba. If these options are not suitable, you can also post through your documents to: PO BOX 1646 Capalaba Q 4157.

Believe it or not, this happens frequently within the Building Industry. We’ve had several cases of clients being left with half jobs done and their certifiers going into liquidation. Once we can confirm that the previous certifier has been disengaged or verify the business has gone into liquidation we can then guide you through the process of completing your project.

Yes, our team certifies both new pools, fences and demolition works.

Yes, our team does all ranges of work from both builders and owner builders.

The Certifier or a Cadet will come on site and conduct an inspection to make sure that the works is up to Australian Standard, after the inspection is completed the applicant will receive the appropriate forms when passed.

Once we’ve issued your Decision Notice, it will have listed Inspections required and documents to be supplied before we can issue your final forms. When you require an inspection depending on what stage your works is up to, please contact our Administration 3 days prior to when it is required so we can organize a suitable time. Our office number is: (07) 3823 2829.

The person carrying out the building work must give notice to the private certifier when an inspection is due, the required inspections will be shown on the Decision Notice.

For houses the following inspections must be undertaken:

  • Foundation and excavation (before the footings are poured);
  • Slab (before the concrete is poured);
  • Frame (before the cladding or lining is fixed or for reinforced masonry construction, before the wall cavities are filled); and
  • Final (at the completion of all aspects of the building work).

For garages, carports and sheds an inspection is required at the final stage of construction.

For swimming pools and required fencing, an inspection must be carried out and the fence certified before water is placed in the pool.

For the other inspections, the private certifier will either carry out inspections personally or appoint competent persons to inspect and approve aspects of work. The private certifier will send a final inspection certificate to the owner nominated on the application form, and a copy will be given to the local council at the completion of the building work.

Once we have received all documents required to create your permit, the certifier will complete her final assessment of the documentation. Your permit will then be compiled and lodged accordingly with council. Once you have received your permit (decision Notice), you can start works.

Both the building contractor and owner are responsible for ensuring building work is carried out to a standard of quality and finish required by the owner under the conditions of contract. The private certifier is not responsible for standards of workmanship higher than the acceptable health and safety standards called upon by State legislation. Private certifiers are licensed to practice by the Queensland Building and Construction Commission and must abide by State legislation and Code of Conduct. The Code and the laws require a private certifier to act in the public interest and not take action that would compromise the health and safety of any person, the amenity of their property or significantly conflict with a local council’s planning scheme. The Code also sets out standards of conduct and professionalism expected from certifiers

Once we have received all documents required, the certifier generally takes 5-10 business days.

To simplify this process, we would require these items to complete a preliminary assessment: –

  • Engagement Form
  • Architectural Drawings – Site plan, floor plan, elevations & sections
  • Engineering (if applicable)

A private certifier can perform the following functions:

  • Assess whether the proposed building work complies with acceptable health and safety standards called up by building legislation (i.e. Building Code of Australia);
  • Issue approval for the building work;
  • Carry out inspections to determine if the building complies with building legislation and any conditions they impose on the approval;
  • Issue a final inspection certificate for the building work; and
  • Take any necessary action to ensure the building work complies with the legislation.

Certification is the act of verifying the built or existing structure is in line with the Planning Act 2016 and Building Code of Australia. This entails that the structure must be structurally sound and constructed to be safely used upon completion.

Yes! It is a requirement, by law, that you have a certified pool fence in Queensland. This has been in effect since December 2015.  Whilst it seems a little daunting for property owners who have had their pools for years, it is a fairly easy process to complete.  Please contact us and we can guide you through this simple process.

Pricing varies for each class of building and the amount of work that is required. We are more than happy to provide you with a quote, you can do this by clicking HERE.

We currently service Queensland and the Northern Territory. Please contact us to confirm your location by filling out our contact form or by calling the office on (07) 38232829.

A building certifier is not responsible for job site supervision, quality control or ensuring the builder/ contractors comply with their contract.

To make sure your structure complies with the approved building plans and appropriate building standards.
Building Certifiers can:

  • Assess and approve plans for new building work or alterations/additions
  • Inspect mandatory stages of building work i.e., basic house will require four inspections: Footings, Bond Beam, Frame and Final Stage.
  • Issue final certificates once the building works have been completed and deemed satisfactory.
  • Issue enforcement notices if required
  • Provide alternitive solutions

A private certifier can approve and inspect building work, a private certifier is engaged under a written contract with the person who has made the application. This may be the building designer, the builder or the property owner. Once hired, a private certifier must also notify the local council within five business days of engagement.